Re: Crash Recovery - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Crash Recovery
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 21:32, Noah Silverman wrote:
> To preface my question, we are still in the process of evaluating postgres
> to determine if we want to switch our production environment over.
>
> I'm curious about where I can find documentation about crash recovery in
> postgres.  In mysql, there is a nice table recovery utility (myisamchk).
> is there something similar in postgres?  What do we do if a table or
> database becomes corrupted? (I'm aware of backup techniques, but it isn't
> feasible for some of our larger tables.  We're already running on raid 5,
> but can't do much more)

Of course it's feasible!!  If corporations can backup terrabyte-sized
databases, then you can backup your comparatively puny DB.

In fact, if your data is vital to your company, you *must* back it
up.  Otherwise, poof goes the company if the computer is destroyed.

Now, it might cost some bucks to buy a tape drive, or a multi-loader,
if you have *lots* of data, but it *can* be done...

Btw, what happens if an obscure bug in the RAID controller shows is
head, and starts corrupting your data?  A table recovery utility
wouldn't do squat, then...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |