Re: fix for PL/PgSQL segfault - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: fix for PL/PgSQL segfault
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 12:18, Tom Lane wrote:
> Actually, the fix I had in mind was to cause the SELECT to assign a row
> of nulls to the RECORD variable

Heh, I just can't seem to get this patch right :-)

> Then, if rec->tup is found to be NULL in RETURN NEXT, that means no
> attempt has ever been made to assign to the variable.  I'm undecided
> about whether that case should return nulls as per your patch, or should
> raise an error.

It seems a little inconsistent to treat a "never-assigned-to" variable
differently than one which has been the target of a SELECT INTO that
returns zero rows, doesn't it?

In any case, I don't particularly mind which behavior we choose: when
there's a consensus, I'll send in a new version of the patch.

Cheers,

Neil