Re: PostgreSQL and Data warehousing question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and Data warehousing question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 20:47, Justin Clift wrote:

> 2) Could we continue to use our Informatica Power Center suite of tools
> to peform our ETL processes?, and are their 'hooks' available for
> Informatica?
>
> We would also want to continue to use our data modeling tool, ErWin, to
> create the DDL to build our DW tables.  Will this DDL work with
> PostgreSQL?  And we can't leave out the BI layer.  Would be able to use
> our standard BI tools, i.e. Power Analyzer, Crystal, Cognos, etc.?

Crystal reports works fairly well via ODBC.  Erwin 3.x has some support
for postgresql, though it's not great if you write postgresql specific
stuff. My understanding is this has been improved in later versions of
erwin, though I've not tried them.  FWIW  all of these tools should work
on some level due to odbc (or perhaps jdbc) compatibility. The quality
of support though is probably less than that for oracle or sql server,
but it it's still likely they would be good enough to do the job.

Robert Treat