Re: VACUUM ANALYSE... - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: VACUUM ANALYSE...
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 04:37, Thilo Hille wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a database running with postgres 7.2.3-1.
> Some tables gets feed with about 200000 records a day. A cronjob does
> "VACUUM ANALYSE" at night.
> This takes about an hour. In this time the performance gets real bad. After
> a short period the client (Apache running on another machine) hits the
> MAX_CONNECTION value and refuses any incoming connections. Systemload goes
> up to 20..
> Is there any option to get a vacuum-analyse less priority or should i
> upgrade to the latest version?
> excerpt form the postgresql.conf:
>
> shared_buffers =70000
> max_fsm_relations = 100
> max_fsm_pages = 2000
> sort_mem = 128
> vacuum_mem = 8192

Could you run the cron job more often?  That way, you'd be spreading
the pain and each VACUUM ANALYSE would be doing less work.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |