Re: MySQL 4.1 Features - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: MySQL 4.1 Features
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 01:49, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Looks like they've caught up on a lot of our features.  I have to say I
> appreciate them adding SERIAL as an alias for AUTO_INCREMENT.  Perhaps we
> should return the favour? :)

Well, it's not the same as PostgreSQL's serial (which is a 32-bit NOT
NULL incrementing integer -- MySQL's serial is a 64-bit unique, NOT NULL
incrementing integer).

Personally, I think the implementations are different enough that making
AUTO_INCREMENT an alias for SERIAL on the PostgreSQL side of things
would just confuse the situation further...

Cheers,

Neil