ALTER TABLE .. < ADD | DROP > OIDS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rod Taylor
Subject ALTER TABLE .. < ADD | DROP > OIDS
Date
Re: ALTER TABLE .. < ADD | DROP > OIDS  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-performance
I wish to create an alter command which will allow a table to have OIDs
added or removed.

The tricky part appears to be changing the tuples themselves.  I believe
if I pull the same trick that cluster does (create new file, copy
tuples, etc) it can be done fairly easily.

First, set up pg_class appropriately (oid flag).

Second, copy out tuples from oldfile to newfile, running a
heap_deformtuple() -> heap_formtuple() process on each.  Since
heap_deformtuple only deals with positive numbered attributes
(non-system attributes) this should be safe to do on a mis-configured
relation.  heap_formtuple completes the dirty work of setting up the OID
column appropriately.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc