Re: table name size - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: table name size
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 14:02, Felipe Schnack wrote:
>   I created a table named (in portuguese, sorry)
> "questionariosAgrupamentosQuestoes". No problems. When I try to insert
> data on it, using "insert into questionariosAgrupamentosQuestoes values
> (...)" i get an error telling me that "questionariosAgrupamentosQuesto"
> does not exists. Why pgsql is truncating the name of a table it created
> successfully? How can I circumvent that?

In releases prior to PostgreSQL 7.3, identifier names (e.g. the names of
tables) are limited to 31 characters. You can change this by changing
NAMEDATALEN in src/include/postgres_ext.h and recompiling (rememeber to
do a 'make clean' first -- you'll also have to re-initdb).

In PostgreSQL 7.3, the default NAMEDATALEN setting is 64, which allows
identifier names up to 63 characters.

Cheers,

Neil