Re: [HACKERS] [GENERAL] Bug with sequence - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [GENERAL] Bug with sequence
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 15:09, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2002, Rod Taylor wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 14:11, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Of course, those would be SQL purists who _don't_ understand
> > > concurrency issues.  ;-)
> >
> > Or they're the kind that locks the entire table for any given insert.
>
> Isn't that what Bruce just said?  ;^)

I suppose so.  I took what Bruce said to be that multiple users could
get the same ID.

I keep having developers want to make their own table for a sequence,
then use id = id + 1 -- so they hold a lock on it for the duration of
the transaction.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>