Re: [GENERAL] Bug with sequence - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Bug with sequence
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Bug with sequence  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 21:35, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 03:53, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 15:45, Thomas Aichinger wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I recently installed pg 7.2.3 on my linux box and discovered that
> > > there are some problems with datatype serial and sequence.
> > >
> > > 1.) If you create a table with a datatype serial, the corrsponding
> > > sequence will be created, but if you drop the table the sequence is
> > > not dropped.
> >
> > This is fixed in 7.3
> >

> out of curiosity, do you know the logic that implements this fix? I have
> a couple of tables that use the same sequence; I'm wondering if dropping
> one of the tables removes the sequence or if I have to drop all tables
> before the sequence is removed

I just tried it.

I created a sequence using SERIAL when I created a table.  I used the
same sequence for another table by setting a column default to
nextval(sequence).

I deleted the first table.  The sequence was deleted too, leaving the
default of the second table referring to a non-existent sequence.

Could this be a TODO item in 7.4, to add a dependency check when a
sequence is set as the default without being created at the same time?

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
========================================   "If my people, which are called by my name, shall      humble themselves,
andpray, and seek my face, and      turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from      heaven, and will forgive
theirsin, and will heal      their land."               II Chronicles 7:14