Re: Problems invoking psql. Help please. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Problems invoking psql. Help please.
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 20:24, jasiek@klaster.net wrote:
> > You seem to have a very bizarre setup there --- there is no such thing
> > as "readpgenv" in the standard Postgres distribution, and
> > /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/ isn't the standard place to put the executable
> > files either.  Perhaps the above is normal for the Debian package of
> > Postgres, but I'm afraid you'll have to ask the Debian packager for
> > help.  Nobody using other platforms is likely to be able to help...
> I have Debian and Postgres installed from .deb package. Postgres is
> installed in /usr/lib/postgresql by default and it contains readpgenv.
> Psql stops working as described, when I remove executable attribute
> from readpgenv. readpgenv is a bash script and has only 3 lines:
> #!/bin/bash
> . /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env
> env
>
> postgresql.env file is an export of PGDATA/PGLIB/PGACCES_HOME variables

Yes.

The reaon for its existence is that Debian policy prohibits reliance on
environmental variables, so I jump through this hoop to read them from a
predictable location (if they are not already set).

Permissions on  /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/readpgenv should be 755.  How
did they get unset?

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
========================================   "A Song for the sabbath day. It is a good thing to      give thanks unto the
LORD,and to sing praises unto      thy name, O most High."   Psalms 92:1