Re: Question arising from a post - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Question arising from a post
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 18:53, Antonie C Malan wrote:
> On 30 Oct Dave Bartmess wrote:
>
> "checked out the latest from CVS. I can't seem to get it to compile,
> though. My classpath is set to:
>
> CLASSPATH=.:/jdk/jre/lib/rt.jar:/jdk/lib/dt.jar:/jdk/jre/lib:/jdk/jre/lib/ext:/usr/share/java:/jdk/lib/tools.jar"
>
> Is it necessary to include jars found in /whatever/lib directories in the
> classpath?  Are those jars not for use by other jars (mostly to be included
> in the classpath) or whatever in other parts of the ultimate parent (/jdk in
> this case) directory?
Yes, you need to specify the actual jars within the lib directory, the
above classpath is somewhat misleading.

> I've never used anything from CVS, so I may be totally wrong here, but does
> the CVS not contain source of parts or the whole of the latest ( and often
> not thorougly tested) version of the application under consideration,
> PostgreSQL in this case?  If that is true, is the classpath needed for
> anything but compiling the jar file containing the driver from the CVS
> source?  Or is PostgreSQL written in Java?
cvs contains whatever you want. In the case of postgres, it contains the
entire project.

Only the jdbc driver is written in java, the actual server is written in
C.