Re: Database replication... - Mission Critical DBMS's -- - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Gribble
Subject Re: Database replication... - Mission Critical DBMS's --
Date
In response to Database replication... - Mission Critical DBMS's -- Taking postgreSQL to the Enterprise Computing level...  ("Greg Patnude" <GPatnude@adelphia.net>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 17:56, Greg Patnude wrote:
> Does anyone know of a reasonable means of synchronizing two (or more)
> postgreSQL database servers in order to maintain two COMPLETE concurrent
> copies of the same database ?

I'm not sure how complete it is (just starting to look at this myself)
but 'dbbalancer' at least makes some claims to this.  It acts as
(basically) a postgresql proxy server, and can send queries to multiple
servers.  My presumption would be that if you initialize 2 databases to
a known identical start, have all the same triggers and rules on both,
then send all queries to both databases, you will have 2 identical
databases at the end.

Don't know how well that will work in practice tho.  I should know more
in the next couple of weeks.

b.g.