Re: convert sum (interval) to seconds - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: convert sum (interval) to seconds
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 11:45, Doppelganger wrote:
> How can I convert sum(interval) to seconds?
> If I say,
> select sum(interval) from tablename where login='john';
> it will give me 00:45:28 (That's 45 mins, and 28 secs).
> How can I convert that to seconds? Can I possibly do it
> in just one query? Thank you

Here's one way; I'm not sure if there may not be something more
efficient, though:
   junk=# select sum(if) from i;      sum       ----------    00:45:28   (1 row)      junk=# select extract (minute
fromsum(if)) * 60 + extract (second   from sum(if)) from i;    ?column?    ----------        2728   (1 row)

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
========================================   "And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto      you, Take no
thoughtfor your life, what ye shall eat;     neither for the body, what ye shall put on. For life      is more than
meat,and the body is more than clothing.     Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap;      they have neither
storehousenor barn; and yet God       feeds them;  how much better you are than the birds!     Consider the lilies, how
theygrow; they toil      not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that       Solomon in all his glory was not
arrayedlike one of      these. If then God so clothe the grass, which is to      day in the field, and tomorrow is cast
intothe oven;     how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little       faith?  And seek not what ye shall eat, or
whatye      shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.      But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these
thingsshall be added unto you."                                      Luke 12:22-24; 27-29; 31.