Re: Separating data sets in a table - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Separating data sets in a table
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 10:46, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On 26 Aug 2002, Oliver Elphick wrote:
>
> >     Select from the temporary table all items that satisfy the
> >     constraints, insert them into the real table and delete them from
> >     the temporary table:
> >
> >         BEGIN;
> >         INSERT INTO tablename (SELECT * FROM temptable WHERE ...);
> >         DELETE FROM temptable WHERE ...;
> >         COMMIT;
> >
> >     All good data should now be in place.  The temporary table should
> >     now contain only those items that do not satisfy the constraints for
> >     the real table.
> This was in  my first atempt here.
> The problem I have is that I need a JOIN to a further table and
> I've got errors from the parser which let me guess that joins are not
> allowed in INSERT statements ... at least I do not know how to do it
> right if it should be possible.

A natural join seems to work fine:      bray=# insert into junk (select b.* from batch as b, product as p   where
b.product= p.id and p.eancode is not null);   INSERT 0 7552

I don't have any earlier messages from this thread; what was the syntax
you were trying to use?

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
========================================   "Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved,      what manner of
personsought ye to be? You ought to     live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the     day of God and speed
itscoming."                                II Peter 3:11,12