Re: Separating data sets in a table - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Separating data sets in a table
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 07:26, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Well for sure this might be an option but as I said I receive the data
> in the dump format apropriate to use "COPY <tablemane> FROM <file>".  Would
> you really like to suggest me to split those data sets into single lines?
> Moreover I'm not sure about how to catch the error messages of failed
> COPY statements.

How about this approach:      Create a temporary table (no constraints)          CREATE TEMP TABLE temptable AS
(SELECT* FROM tablename LIMIT 1);       DELETE FROM temptable;      Copy all data into the temporary table
COPYtemptable FROM 'filepath';      Select from the temporary table all items that satisfy the   constraints, insert
theminto the real table and delete them from   the temporary table:              BEGIN;       INSERT INTO tablename
(SELECT* FROM temptable WHERE ...);       DELETE FROM temptable WHERE ...;       COMMIT;      All good data should now
bein place.  The temporary table should   now contain only those items that do not satisfy the constraints for   the
realtable.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
========================================   "Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved,      what manner of
personsought ye to be? You ought to     live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the     day of God and speed
itscoming."                                II Peter 3:11,12