Re: Temporary Views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Temporary Views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > that TODO item was written before we had dependencies, and I think
> > it's obsolete.  Basically the point of the TODO was to avoid
> > having broken views --- and we have solved that problem.
>
> We may have broken views again when "alter table drop column" gets done

Any view depending on a column which is dropped should also be removed
via the dependency code.  Views won't break but you can't drop a column
that is used in a view without specifying cascade.

This is a case where create or replace view is useful.  Change the view
definition to no longer be dependent on the object you wish to drop.