Re: Use of OIDS as primary keys - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Use of OIDS as primary keys
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 06:56, Alan Wayne wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm wondering how I can use the system generated OIDS
> as primary keys. Does postgre automatically fill in

Don't do it!

Oids are not saved in a dump unless you specifically ask for them;
you'll be in a right mess if you forget and then need to restore from
the dump.  Then, oids aren't guaranteed to be unique.  In any case, your
database design should not depend on an internal feature of the database
implementation.

If there is no primary key in the data, create one by including a SERIAL
field (an integer with an associated next number generator) and use that
as the key.

     "Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The
      spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak."
                           Mark 14:38

Attachment