Re: Some 8.4 changes needed according to pg_migrator testing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Some 8.4 changes needed according to pg_migrator testing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thursday 07 May 2009 20:54:37 Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> I don't think there's much we can do apart from telling the user not to
>> move stuff across platforms that do not have equally named locales.

> The other part of the problem is that there is no guarantee that equally or
> similarly named locales behave the same.  There will necessarily be a user-
> beware factor here, and perhaps blowing up when the locale name is not
> recognized is safer and alerts about this fact better than trying to make it
> match by force somehow.

We have never before operated on the assumption that it's okay for
pg_dump output to be locked to particular platforms, and I do not think
we should start now.  So we've got to do *something* about this.
(Do you really want PG Windows users to be unable to port to a better
platform?)

I note also that the problem is in pg_dumpall not pg_dump, so pg_restore
is not going to help us --- if someone has a problem his only recourse
would be manual editing of a possibly-monstrous SQL script file.