Re: notification: pg_notify ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: notification: pg_notify ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 23:41, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > >  Exactly what semantics do you have in mind?
> >
> > The current syntax I'm using is:
> >
> >     NOTIFY condition_name [ [WITH MESSAGE] 'my message' ];
> >
> > But I'm open to suggestions for improvement.
>
> Have you considered visiting the oracle site and finding their documentation
> for their NOTIFY statement and making sure you're using compatible syntax?

Oracle's implementation uses a completely different syntax to begin
with: it's called DBMS_ALERT.

> They might have extra stuff as well.

From a brief scan of their docs, it doesn't look like it. In fact, their
implementation seems to be worse than PostgreSQL's in at least one
respect: "A waiting application is blocked in the database and cannot do
any other work."

Cheers,

Neil

--