Re: Have problems with 7.1 -> 7.2 upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Have problems with 7.1 -> 7.2 upgrade
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 00:32, andrew.clark@sge.net wrote:

> Don't worry, fixed it...  Copied /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf.dpkg-old over
> /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf and everything started working...  I'm a bit
> confused as to why though, seeing as they both contain the same three
> lines...

They must in fact have been different!

The Debian release of 7.1 used 'peer' authentication, which has now been
adopted into mainstream PostgreSQL as 'ident' authentication on Unix
sockets.  Therefore 'peer' is no longer valid in the Debian package and
the new distributed pg_hba.conf has changed it to 'ident'.  However,
since this is a conffile, package installation will not touch it without
permission.

The postinst package installation script should have offered to change
it for you.  Is there a bug there?

     "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them
      in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the
      Holy Ghost; Teaching them to observe all things
      whatsoever I have commanded you; and, lo, I am with
      you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
                     Matthew 28:19,20