Re: SQL statement : list table details - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: SQL statement : list table details
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 18:57, Dino Hoboloney wrote:
>     I am looking for a SQL statement which would list table names, columns,
> and column types of a specific DB. So far I have managed to find a statement
> that lists all of the tables and columns in the DB with
>
> SELECT a.attnum, a.attname AS field, c.relname AS table_name FROM pg_class
> c, pg_attribute a WHERE c.relname NOT LIKE 'pg%' AND relkind = 'r' AND
> a.attnum > 0 AND a.attrelid = c.oid ORDER BY table_name, attnum;
>
> unfortunately I am unable to come up with a solution to listing the data
> types for the columns listed. Any ideas?

SELECT a.attnum, a.attname AS field, t.typname AS type, c.relname AS
table_name FROM pg_class c, pg_attribute a, pg_type t WHERE c.relname
NOT LIKE 'pg%' AND relkind = 'r' AND a.attnum > 0 AND a.attrelid = c.oid
AND a.atttypid = t.oid ORDER BY table_name, attnum;

If you want refinements like the number of characters in a varchar, or
the precsion and scale of a numeric, you need to do things with
a.atttypmod which I can't currently remember.

     "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure,
      pressed down, taken together and running over,
      will be poured into your lap. For with the same
      measure that you use, it will be measured to
      you."         Luke 6:38