Re: Database abstration layers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew McMillan
Subject Re: Database abstration layers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 05:23, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am looking at available database abstraction layers with the idea of
> porting pgAdmin2 to Linux. This is just for information, my project is not
> clear by now.
>
> GnomeDB (http://www.gnome-db.org) seems quite fantastic when used in
> conjunction with Glade. Until now, I never heard of any abstraction layer
> under KDE. Is there any?
>
> By the way, I looked at KDE TOra, which seems very Oracle centric. TOra seems
> to be built upon database wrappers, not abstraction layer classes. Am I wrong?
>
> What is the best database abstraction under Linux ? Any idea, suggestion,
> etc.. are welcome.

Since pgAdmin2 already uses ODBC, would it not be best to leave that
alone and just use ODBC in a Linux port as well?

The ODBC in pgAdmin2 is a good help in porting to PostgreSQL from other
databases, but no doubt it has it's drawbacks.  On the other hand if it
is already existing, and should work 'as-is' then perhaps it would save
a lot of work to leave it alone.

Regards,                Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267      Are you enrolled at
http://schoolreunions.co.nz/yet?