Re: How do I retreive text very QUICKLY from the database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Gray
Subject Re: How do I retreive text very QUICKLY from the database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 16:42, Peter E. Chen wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I am trying to find a way to retreive character data from a table very
> quickly.  My data is a large string (about 250 MB worth of text) of DNA
> sequence.  I am currently storing the data as a Postgres "text" datatype.
> The character data is in its own table and occupies one row and one column.
>
> I would like to retreive a substring from this very long string.  I have
> tried the built-in Postgres string functions to get a substring out from the
> table, but it is too slow.  Is there a very fast way to retreive substrings
> of character data from the database?

I have a patch (hopefully to be in 7.3) which would provide faster
substring access in those cases, so it is possible. It is maintained
against current CVS, and I can provide it to you if you are interested.

Regards

John