Re: How do I retreive text very QUICKLY from the database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: How do I retreive text very QUICKLY from the database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 11:42, Peter E. Chen wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I am trying to find a way to retreive character data from a table very
> quickly.  My data is a large string (about 250 MB worth of text) of DNA
> sequence.  I am currently storing the data as a Postgres "text" datatype.
> The character data is in its own table and occupies one row and one column.

That sounds like a bad candidate for storage in an RDBMS. If you need a
lot of speed, perhaps it would be better to store it on the file system
(reading using mmap() perhaps?), in a DBM-style database, or in shared
memory. If necessary, you could then store the access info for this
storage (e.g. the filename) in the RDBMS.

Alternatively, try using PostgreSQL's large objects support. I don't
know if it would be any faster though...

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>