Re: passing resource id's through functions - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Andrew McMillan
Subject Re: passing resource id's through functions
Date
List pgsql-php
On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 09:54, Brent R. Matzelle wrote:
> --- Culley Harrelson <Culley_Harrelson@pgn.com> wrote:
> > DBBalancer looks interesting.  Looks like you are part of the
> > development team with this project?  What sort of performance
> > difference to you see?  When I made the decision to go with
> > php/postgres as my primary development technologies I never even
> > started using persistant connections because of all the mixed
> > reviews.  The database is local to the web server and performance
> > is fine.  I would be interested in hearing more about this
> > connection pooling though...
>
> There is another connection pooling software piece that supports many
> more databases that you might want to take a look at.  It is called
> SQL Relay and it works with PHP, C++, Perl, Java, etc:
>
> http://www.firstworks.com/sqlrelay.html

SQL Relay looks pretty polished, but the problem I have in my case is
that it requires me to go back and change my application a bit too much.
The web page suggests it doesn't support PostgreSQL functions, for
example, which I use extensively.

I've spent all this time learning the PHP/PostgreSQL API, and writing my
application to use it, I'm not going to go back and rewriet to use SQL
Relay instead.  DBBalancer is completely transparent to PHP - change
your connect string (or not - you can make the change to your database
server instead) and you are off.

OTOH if I were developing a new site from scratch it would deserve much
more consideration.

Cheers,
                    Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
       Are you enrolled at http://schoolreunions.co.nz/ yet?