Re: Postgres in bash-mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karl DeBisschop
Subject Re: Postgres in bash-mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2002-01-12 at 03:32, David Terrell wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:07:50AM +0100, Alexander Pucher wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I hope, that this is not too off topic for this list, but anyway, it
> > should be easy for any PG-expert.
> >
> > I need to run a shell script that logs in to Postgresql, executes a
> > query and logs off again.
> >
> > In MySQL, I did it like this:
> >
> > 'mysql -u user -ppassword < script.sh'
> >
> > My problem is that I can't find a way to put the password in an 'psql'
> > statement at the prompt.
> >
> > Any suggestions are welcome!
>
> "Don't do that"
>
> You CAN do something like
> % psql -f dbscript database
> Password: <typeity>
> <stuff happens>
> 129195981 INSERT

Just a bit of extra info. Passwords on the command line are sniffable.
You can obsure them somewhat, but AFAIK there is no way, or at least no
general way to secure them fully.

If you absolutely need to do something like this, look into expect.

--
Karl