Re: Query performance issue - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jonathan Gray
Subject Re: Query performance issue
Date
List pgsql-performance
That particular plan is our goal because we've "hacked" it together to
perform better than the normal sql plans.  Analytically it makes sense to
approach this particular problem in this way because it is relatively
invariant to the distributions and sizes of the tables (with only having to
deal with increased index size).

Also, changing around the query doesn't change the query plan at all.  The
planner is intelligent enough to figure out what it really needs to join on
despite my poor query writing.  I originally had it this way to ensure my
(customerid,orderstamp) conditions were in the correct order but again
appears to not matter.

I will try to get a more complex/sophisticated test case running.  I'm not
able to post my actual structure or queries but I'll try to produce a better
example of the other (multiple table) case tomorrow.

Thanks.

Jonathan Gray