Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/04/2018 09:55 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> writes:
>> On 06/03/2018 11:29 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct
>>> We are now asking for a final round of community comments.
>
>> My comments:
>
>> 1) Reiterate my contention that this is a solution is search of problem.
>
> As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm aware of at least one actual case of a
> person leaving the community because of harassment.  I do not think
> it's a hypothetical problem.  Whether a CoC can fix it remains to
> be seen, but doing nothing will certainly not fix it.

Adrian,

As one of the people that interacts with external members of the
community more than most, I can tell you that a CoC is something the
wider community wants. I have sat in feedback meetings with hundreds of
people who are potential community members. These people have ranged in
age, gender, sexual orientation and technical capability on all realms
of the spectrum. The majority of them aren't interested if we do not
have a written Code of Conduct.

All PostgreSQL contributors should be looking at this as an opportunity
to grow our community in a more open and diverse way.

Thanks,

JD

***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****