Re: 8.2rc1: vacuum full fills up disk space - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Thomas H.
Subject Re: 8.2rc1: vacuum full fills up disk space
Date
List pgsql-bugs
>> this somehow sounds buggy:
>
> vacuum full absolutely *will* bloat your index, if run on a
> heavily-modified table.  I do not think it will bloat pg_xlog by itself
> however; are you sure you don't have some other open transactions?

well yes, as the system is "live", users are browsing the website. but all
queries that try to access the table in question are stalled at the moment.
when querying server status i'm seeing lots of queries that are waiting for
access to the table.

would vacuum freeze be faster?

>> a) .. prevent total diskspace fillup. what happens if i send a cancel =
>> signal to the process?
>
> Killing it should not corrupt anything; if it does that IS a serious bug
> and will be met with a full alarm response...

after "a while" it eventually finished just in time before the hd was filled
up :-)

2006-11-27 07:18:04 [2096] LOG:  duration: 6093332.000 ms  statement: VACUUM
FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE forum.posts

thanks,
- thomas