Re: productive usage of PostgreSQL with Windows Server - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: productive usage of PostgreSQL with Windows Server
Date
List pgsql-admin
Dirk Krautschick schrieb am 26.01.2021 um 12:20:
> I am aware and I always surely recommend Linux but the matter of fact that there
> are also customers with more Windows knowledge inhouse I always get the question
> about experience and references which I cannot provide at this time.
>
> Regarding the build farm status I see that it is pretty much tested and suppported at
> least. But I am interessted in fundational opinions and expierences.

I think the biggest drawback is that many useful tools and extensions are only
available on Linux. For some tools, it might be possible to compile them on Windows,
but it's not as easy and straightforward as doing that on Linux.

Your choice of e.g. backup tools (beyond the built-in tools) is also limited. I think
the only one is pgProBackup - at least it contains information on how to compile
it on Windows.

In my experience, NTFS on Windows doesn't perform as good the alternatives on Linux,
so performance on identical hardware is probably a bit lower when using Windows.

Thomas