Re: User-specific sequences - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Ochs
Subject Re: User-specific sequences
Date
List pgsql-general
Here is a function I use to generate unique order id's.  In a multi -
merchant system we prefix the order id with the merchant's id.  This gives
us system wide and per merchant unique order id's.  Sequences are nice but
not when you don't want possible skips in sequence.  This function
initializes the order id if it doesn't exist also.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_orderid(varchar) returns numeric AS '
DECLARE
   in_mer_id ALIAS FOR $1;
   next_order_id numeric;
   new_order_id numeric;
BEGIN
   next_order_id := order_id FROM last_orderid WHERE mer_id = in_mer_id FOR
UPDATE;
   IF next_order_id < 1 THEN
      new_order_id := 10000000;
      INSERT into last_orderid(mer_id,order_id)
VALUES(in_mer_id,new_order_id);
      RETURN new_order_id;
   ELSE
      UPDATE last_orderid SET order_id=(order_id + 1) WHERE mer_id =
in_mer_id;
      RETURN next_order_id;
   END IF;
END