Locale question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca
Subject Locale question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi

I have a few people in Europe trying out the rc1 port for OS/2 and they
have run into a problem with the locale settings

They have a locale set as de_DE_EURO and the initdb program really does
not like this because the setlocale(LC_MESSAGES, NULL) call returns a zero
length string. When the postgres code finds that the lc_messages does not
= the return from LC_CTYPE it appears to attempt to see if it is a known
language setup and something  goes wrong.

When the local is de_DE everything works fine.

Can someone point me to where the locale string is tested to be a known
type, or explain how to track down the problem?

If I patch initdb to just use the return from LC_CTYPE as the value for
lc_messages the init conpletes and the database will start up OK

Should I be doing something else to fix this problem?

This apparently also happened with the 7.4.x postgres code as well.

Thanks

Lorne

lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca