RE: Timeout parameters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Subject RE: Timeout parameters
Date
List pgsql-hackers
From: Fabien COELHO [mailto:coelho@cri.ensmp.fr]
> I think that the typical use-case of \c is to connect to another database
> on the same host, at least that what I do pretty often. The natural
> expectation is that the same "other" connection parameters are used,
> otherwise it does not make much sense, and there is already a whole logic
> of reusing the previous settings in psql, at least wrt describing the
> target (host, port, user…).

I agree about the natural expectation.

> > Anyway, I think this would be an improvement for psql's documentation
> or
> > new feature for psql.  What do you think?
>
> I think that we should fix the behavior rather than document the current
> weirdness. I do not think that we should introduce more weirdness.

Do you think all connection parameter settings should be reused by default, or when -reuse-previous=on is specified?

Do you think this is a bug to be backported to previous versions, or a new feature?  I think I'll make a patch
separatelyfrom this thread, if time permits.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa