RE: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Subject RE: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
From: Nico Williams [mailto:nico@cryptonector.com]
> You're proposing to include code that implements patented ideas with a
> suitable patent grant.  I would be free to not read the patent, but what
> if the code or documents mention the relevant patented algorithms?
>
> If I come across something like this in the PG source code:
>
>     /* The following is covered by patents US#... and so on */

I got it.  Your concern makes sense.

> My advice is to write up a patent grant that allows all to use the
> relevant patents royalty-free with a no-lawsuit covenant.  I.e., make
> only defensive use of your patents.

How can one make defensive use of his patent if he allows everyone to use it royalty-free?  Can he use his patent for
cross-licensingnegotiation if some commercial database vendor accuses his company that PostgreSQL unintentionally
infringesthat vendor's patent?

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa