Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Has anyone seen this marketing gimmick?EnterpriseDB vs MySQL vs MariaDB - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Has anyone seen this marketing gimmick?EnterpriseDB vs MySQL vs MariaDB
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Has anyone seen this marketing gimmick?EnterpriseDB vs MySQL vs MariaDB  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-advocacy
From: pgsql-advocacy-owner@postgresql.org
> [mailto:pgsql-advocacy-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Frost
> I agree that it would have been good for them to include all of the major
> players when it comes to PG and not just focus on one.  The unfortunate
> reality is that in many other projects there's "the one" big company behind
> the open source project and few realize that PG has such a great and diverse
> multi-company ecosystem, even though many of us make a point to bring it
> up whenever we get the chance.

I sometimes want a list of organization names that develop PostgreSQL when I'm asked "How many companies and developers
aredeveloping         PostgreSQL?"  This question is sometimes made to compare with MySQL on how the community is
thriving.

> What might be interesting to discuss here is what more we can be doing to
> make it clear that the PostgreSQL project is independent of any single
> company and instead has contributions from many, not unlike the Linux
> Foundation or the Python Foundation.

As a user, what reminds me of a single company is the Windows distribution.  The PG package for Windows is provided by
EDB,which I think may give an impression that PostgreSQL is a single-vendor open source project.  Please don't get me
wrong,I'm grateful to EDB for providing an easy-to-use package.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa