[RFC] How about changing the default value of defaultRowFetchSize? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Subject [RFC] How about changing the default value of defaultRowFetchSize?
Date
Re: [RFC] How about changing the default value ofdefaultRowFetchSize?  (Mark Rotteveel <mark@lawinegevaar.nl>)
List pgsql-jdbc
Hello,

Let me ask your opinion on whether the default value of defaultRowFetchSize can or should be changed.  The current
defaultvalue is 0, which means the driver fetches all rows at once when the result set is opened.  I'd like to propose
changingit to some small positive value because:

* It sometimes causes out-of-memory trouble when users' batch apps process many rows on the client side.  They are
oftennot aware of the fetch size, because they didn't experience the problem with the same app when using Oracle.
Oracle'sdefault fetch size is 10.  They complained about the PostgreSQL's behavior. (OTOH, MySQL's JDBC driver fetches
allrows by default like PostgreSQL.)

* If the performance is better when the fetch size is 0, then those who are keen to improve performance can find the
methodfor tuning fetch size.  I think it would be better to make the default setting more friendly for people who
aren'tso conscious of tuning.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa