Re: Please take part in the PostgreSQL ecosystem survey - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Subject Re: Please take part in the PostgreSQL ecosystem survey
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

Hello, Sumedh,

From: pgsql-advocacy-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-advocacy-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Sumedh Pathak

That can be doable, but its possible it may not get much traction. Typical AskHN doesn't link to an external site, and the data is captured within the HN. Should I try that? The poll might get a bit more traction, but like you noted, the aggregation of the results would involve scanning through the text comments. I don't have a strong recommendation here, but probably the Poll might get a slightly better response.

I see.  That is, a poll can catch more people's eyes than Ask articles in HN, which is why submitting a poll requires 200 karmas, isn't it?  What is more effective is to use the poll article, whatever its content is.

Then,

> From: pgsql-advocacy-owner@postgresql.org

> [mailto:pgsql-advocacy-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Justin Clift

> With the CitusDB articles submitted to Hacker News, they typically link

> to a informative piece.

> Do you feel submitting the initial announcement message - which already

> includes the survey link as it's first thing - would work out ok?

> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/0A3221C70F24FB45833433255569204D1

> F561EFA@G01JPEXMBYT05

I'd like to follow Justin's idea.  Because gathering the survey result in one place (Google Form) not only streamlines the analysis, but also help to encourage more people to respond to the survey.  People tend to gather where people already gather.

If the HN poll article requires at least one question in itself, could you create a dummy (but somehow useful) question and then invite visitors to the real poll?  i.e. something like this:

Q: Please select items which you think are necessary for PostgreSQL to improve.  You can select multiple choices.

1.Functionality

2.Performance

3.Quality

Interoperability with other software

If you chose interoperability, please let us know the details by responding the following poll.

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/0A3221C70F24FB45833433255569204D1

Regards

Takayuki Tsunakawa