Connecting to a PostgreSQL Server remotely - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Alec Resnick
Subject Connecting to a PostgreSQL Server remotely
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi!  I had a few questions.  I've postgresql 8.1 setup on a desktop
which is occasionally behind a VPN, running a server.  I've a laptop
running 8.1 as well, with which I'd like to be able to access the
server.  I've attempted to change the listen_addresses parameter to
'*' and then reloaded with pg_ctl reload; however, I still get a
"server doesn't listen" error.  I'm using pgAdmin III, and I was
hoping someone might be able to help me out?

Thanks a bunch!

Gratefully,
a.