RE: Appending null produces null? AND RE: [GENERAL] NVL (sql oracle) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject RE: Appending null produces null? AND RE: [GENERAL] NVL (sql oracle)
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for setting that out so nicely.
This is not an issue with MS Access (for example), which makes no
distinction between an empty string and a null.  In that case the
concatenation with a null produces a non-null result.  This makes sense
considering the target user group for MS Access, who generally can be
expected to not care about the distinction between 'empty' and 'null', and
who would be confounded by a null result.
Postgres, being primarily a backend application, needs to be SQL compliant
(as someone else pointed out).  The developer can smooth away the problem
for the front end user.
Being myself somewhere between the two camps, I sometimes get confounded