RE: Index on substring? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject RE: Index on substring?
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for the input.
In this case, we are not talking about persistent tables: they were
specially created for a particular purpose, and will be trashed again
afterwards.
To explain a little: I am tying together disparate customer databases that
have no common identifiers, other than the customer names and addresses.
These are subject to the usual variations in rendering, so direct name
comparisons fail far too often, although the two compared records refer to
the same customer.  I have found that comparison on the first few characters
of the name gives good (enough) results, thus my interest in the substring.