Money variable - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Duncan Kinder
Subject Money variable
Date
List pgsql-sql
I am attempting to enter values for a database used by the book "The
Practical SQL Handbook," (Bowman, et.al, Addison-Wesley, 1996).

This book, using SQL Anywhere, uses a "bookbiz" database, with a "titles"
table.   "Tables" includes, among other things, two fields "price" and
"advance" which use the money variable.  I am attempting to enter this data
into Postgres.

I cannot enter data into these fields in Postgres.   When entering "$20.00"
for price I get the following:  "error near '.00'.  When entering "$20" I
get "out of range." and when entering "20.00" I get " attribute 'price' is
of type'money' but expression is of type 'float8'.  You will have to rewrite
or cast the expression.

I have drooped and re-created the table.  I have attempted to enter this
data numerous times.  No luck.

How do I enter money data in Postgres?

Regards,

Duncan C. Kinder