Re: JDBC Streaming large objects - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kevin Schroeder
Subject Re: JDBC Streaming large objects
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
It is the values themselves that are too large.  The query is inserting an
email into the database.  99.999999% percent of the time it's not an issue
since most emails aren't that large, but if someone sends a large email
(20+MB) you have  copy of it in memory and then when you add it to the SQL
statement you have it there again, so it's using 40MB worth of memory
(roughly, of course).  I was able to free up half of the memory by swapping
the email to the hard drive and using the setXXX() function, but there will
still be cases where Java will run out of memory.  I can increase the heap
size, which solves the problem for me, but most people probably won't think
of memory issues when they install the software or they may have other
applications that require high memory usage on the same machine.

Since I posted my first message I have put in a workaround.  It doesn't do
what I'd like, but at least it notifies people that there was a problem by
catching the OutOfMemoryError exception.

If the current JDBC spec won't be able to handle the kind of query I'm doing
perhaps someone can point me to the code in the PostgreSQL driver that I
could use to build a custom interface that would create the SQL statement on
the fly, pulling the data from the hard drive while it's sending it to
PostgreSQL.  And perhaps at some point in the future it could be beneficial
to add that feature, or something like it, to the JDBC driver.

Kevin