Re: Domains and type coercion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Domains and type coercion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> If we take the hard SQL99 line that domains *are* the base type plus
> constraints, then we could reduce domains to base types before we
start
> the entire matching process, and this issue would go away.  This
would
> prevent declaring any specialized operators or functions for a
domain.
> (In fact, I'd be inclined to set things up so that it's impossible
> store domain type OIDs in pg_proc or pg_operator, thus saving the
time
> of doing getBaseType on one side of the match.)  Thoughts?

It would be fairly straight forward  to simply copy the domain base
type into the atttypid, then create an atttypdomain (normally 0,
except in the case of a domain).  Everything would use the attypid,
except for \d and pg_dump which could use the domain if it exists.

Is this something I should do?