Re: Dump CLUSTER in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: Dump CLUSTER in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-patches
> > One possible improvement would be to sort clustered indexes first and
dump
> > them first, that way the cluster operation does not have to do so much
> > reindexing.
>
> Is this really a good idea?  I think the clustering itself should be
> done later and manually by the DBA, and the dump should only include a
> command to set the indisclustered bit appropiately.  What about
> inventing a command to only set the bit, maybe

No, it's not - but it's the _only_ way of doing it for 7.3.x pg_dump...

> ALTER TABLE <tablename> CLUSTER ON <indexname>
>
> or something like that?  I can do that if people thinks it's a good
> idea.

That's exactly what Tom's idea was - I like that particular syntax though.
It's slightly weird I guess to have the two different syntaxes I guess.

I'll add it to my list :)

Chris