MySQL and RHDB news; 8.0 troll - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ned Lilly
Subject MySQL and RHDB news; 8.0 troll
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Some interesting MySQL news here:

http://news.com.com/2100-1012-996434.html

... and for those who weren't aware, this from Patrick Macdonald on the RHDB mailing list:

> The Red Hat Database product was end-of-life'd last year and is no
> longer supported by Red Hat.  However, questions and concerns are
> still addressed by the development team at rhdb@sources.redhat.com.
>
> The former RHDB development team is currently working on the
> PostgreSQL - Red Hat Edition project.

This brings me back to the oft-discussed question of marketing.  If PITR, Win32, and some basic M-S replication are
stillon tap for 7.4, I think that more than qualifies as a major version bump.  And I humbly submit that the
sometimes-complacenttech press who continues to write about MySQL as if it were a real RDBMS might be more interested
inversion 8.0 as a Major Step Forward For PostgreSQL - along the lines of the coverage 7.0 got.

Cheers,
Ned