Re: Postgress and MYSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Ochs
Subject Re: Postgress and MYSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Personally I don't think it's installing/running the database server that
people have problems with.  I used postgresql about 5 years ago and am now
switching back to it from sapdb.  I have also used mysql and oracle.

The problems I have had with postgresql is the websites.  The website does
very little to make an impression on new users, or to showcase the features
that are available to someone that doesn't know anything about postgresql.
It's difficult to find information, and too much information is outdated
which makes you question everything else.  I still am not sure what
replication options are available because of all the conflicting information
that is posted on the various websites (gborg, pgsql.com, postgresql.org,
etc..).

Look I love postgresql, but reality is reality.  The database itself is
great, the documentation is pretty good, but a lot of the other things about
postgresql (like the website) need a lot of work.  Postgresql gives the
impression of being a second rate disorganized product if you were to just
go by the website alone.  Now of course that is not true, but perception
governs people's actions and behavior.  If people think postgresql is
difficult, guess what, for all intents and purposes it is.  If that
perception leads them to use mysql instead of postgresql, then at some point
you have to face the fact that it's the perceptions that are really
important, regardless of the facts.

Chris