Re: TRUNCATE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: TRUNCATE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
From my limited understanding of truncate in Oracle is it requires the
user to first disable integrity constraints on the table before
truncate will run.

In SQL Server that truncate will not allow truncate if foreign key
constraints exist, but does not execute user delete triggers.

Can't remember nor confirm either of these now.  But, for consistency
sake we should enforce the foreign key case.  But I really think it
should apply to all constraints, system or user enforced (rules, user
written triggers).

Besides that, theres always Codds twelfth rule which I've always
liked:
The nonsubversion rule: If low-level access is permitted it should not
bypass security or integrity rules.

--
Rod