Re: password is no required, authentication is overridden - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hiroshi Saito
Subject Re: password is no required, authentication is overridden
Date
List pgsql-hackers
From: "Andrew Dunstan"

> Thomas Bley wrote:
>

>> + The .pgpass file will be automatically created if you're using
>> pgAdmin III with "store password" being enabled in the connection
>> settings.
>>

> It strikes me that this is actually a bad thing for pgadmin3 to be
> doing. It should use its own file, not the deafult location, at least if
> the libpq version is >= 8.1. We provided the PGPASSFILE environment
> setting just so programs like this could use alternative locations for
> the pgpass file. Otherwise, it seems to me we are violating the POLS, as
> in the case of this user who not unnaturally thought he had found a
> major security hole.

Ummm, The function which pgAdmin offers is the optimal in present. I do not
think that PGPASSFILE avoids the danger clearly. Probably, It is easy for the
user who is malicious in the change to find it. I consider it to be a problem that
the password is finally PlainText. Then, I made the proposal before. However,
It was indicated that deliberation is required again..... I want to consider a good
method again. Is there any proposal with good someone?

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito