Re: [pgadmin-support] making me love pgAdmin III - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From richard@xentu.com
Subject Re: [pgadmin-support] making me love pgAdmin III
Date
List pgadmin-support
On 2017-05-19 14:45, richard@xentu.com wrote:
> On 2017-05-19 14:20, Adam Brusselback wrote:
>>> I seriously may go back to PostgreSQL 9.3 so that I can use pgAdmin
>> III until I can wean myself off the tool.
>>  You don't have to revert your database version to use pgadmin III,
>> the newest release works fine with Postgres 9.6, and there is also the
>> BigSQL fork of pgadmin III which as far as I know will continue to
>> support new releases.
>
> Could anyone clarify this for me?
>
> PostgreSQL & pgadmin are distinct projects right?
>
> I installed pgadmin 4 on a windows machine earlier this week and,
> leaving aside the fact that I dislike it, the installation worked.
> Today I tried to find out how to install pgadmin 4 on a Linux machine
> and I could only find installation methods that seemed to install all
> of postgresql, both server & client application. Is this just my
> misunderstanding of what's available?

I don't think I expressed myself accurately enough in my above post.

When I've installed postgresql previously, I think pgadmin3 was
installed at the same time. Certainly this was the case for a recent
install I did on Windows. As far as I know, until now, postgresql hasn't
needed python on the server. If I download the windows postgresql
installer, and pgadmin4 is by default included, then it means python
must also be getting installed.

That's what I was concerned about when previously asking if the two
projects were distinct.

Is there an installer that doesn't include pgadmin4 & python?

Somebody please correct me, if in fact, even the server component
requires python. Seems like bloat otherwise.