Help required with installing postgreSQL on SCO Openserver - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Morcombe
Subject Help required with installing postgreSQL on SCO Openserver
Date
List pgsql-general
Philippe

I am making progress (actually I am making Postgres -- yeah, the jokes get
worse towards the end of the week)

I downloaded PostgreSQL Version 7.2 and both the "gmake" and the "gmake
install" worked :)
However, there were lots of "warnings" during the compiles.

I followed (most of) the INSTALL instructions and I got as far as
sucessfully running "initdb"
But my joy was short lived.  When I tried to run the "postmaster" command, I
got the attached error message.

At this stage I must say that I was very impressed at the "user friendly"
error message that came up.  Unfortunately, it hasn't helped me much.

The error message suggested that "SHMMAX" was too small.  This was probably
true, because it is set to 524,288 bytes which is 1024 Kb.

The Administrators Guide sugested I try "postoffice -D data -B 24 -N 12".

I have tried this, abd postoffice still refuses to run.

If I have to, I will reconfigure the kernal as sugested in the manual, but I
would prefer not to do this as it is a production box and I don't have the
skills to fix it if I break it.

Any sugestions?

Jim Morcombe